Monday, April 11, 2011

Dahl and Rice

Pesach. Pre-pesach cleaning, pre-pesach reflection and most importantly the pre-pesech tradition of emptying out your kitchen food cabinets and eating through whatever is not considered ok to have around the house during the weeklong holiday. In one word - Oy. In five - it's time to get creative.

There is a week left, and we are getting close to the bottom. There are 4 veggie patties in the freezer, about 5 tortillas, a half bag of sliced bread, half a challah from shabbat, 3 crackers, 3 yogurts (assorted flavours), 2 tablespoons of granola, a cup and a half of rice, quarter bag of couscous, some dried fruit, instant soup in a bag, 6 cans of tuna, seaweed (assorted) and a jar of orange lentils. I came home from work with about 45 minutes to cook and I knew exactly what I was going to make. Hint - see title of this post.

The recipe is from the net, but as usual I didn't follow it exactly:
Fry up onion and ginger, add cubed potato and carrot, add lentils and water and garlic, cumin, black pepper and salt. It also calls for fresh coriander, a tomato and cumin seeds, but I used what I had, and what I had time for. Cook until everything is soft and the lentils are a general mush texture. And it's ready.

Everything , including a cup of white rice (all the brown is gone by now) was ready just in time for me to turn off the stove and go dancing.

So, to sum up: When the going gets tough, the tough starts cooking. And isn't that a wonderful thing.
Looking forward to restocking the kitchen very soon, but maybe tomorrow I will make couscous with dried fruit and a yogurt sauce...
Happy Pre-Pesach creations to all! R

No comments:

Post a Comment