Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Travel Hell and Indian Heaven

Date: May 31, 2012
Name: United Airlines
Address: Flight #90, aisle seat between Newark and Tel Aviv.

After successfully packing, donating, and recycling my belongings (thanks to everyone who helped!), and after holding a lovely going away gathering, one challenge remained: getting to the airport and surviving 3 connecting flights between Washington, DC and Tel Aviv, Israel.

The taxi driver carried my bags from my doorstep, American curb-side check-in didn't weigh my bags or charge me for the second one, and the airport helper wheeled me through security, including an x-ray of my cast. I even dozed off and had an awesome nap. But one hour before take-off, my first flight was cancelled. Back into the wheelchair to re-claim my bags and re-book my flight. I was re-routed on United, which elimiated one connection and got me in earlier than originally planned. The United agent weighed my bags (48 and 49 pounds, thank you very much), charged me ($70, ouch), and informed me there is only a middle seat and no hope for a vegetarian meal. Oh well.

Thanks to the airport helpers and other passengers, I made it on board (aisle seat, cast karma strikes again!) and fell asleep. I woke for dinner, but no veggie meal. Even the salad had fish in it! I'm already suffering, what's a little more? I went back to sleep, and woke later to find a vegetarian snack box on my tray. Two bites of quinoa, roll, and vegan cookie. Yum. Back to sleep.

I woke up with 2:45 hours to go and decided to watch "3 Idiots," which is Bollywood's highest grossing film. I'd heard about it through my internship at OEC, when we'd talked about putting these chairs into an exhibit about Indian Americans. As I watched, breakfast was served. As if my karma was feeling guilty, the vegetarian option turned out to be Indian food! Rice with curried vegetables and channa masala.

I was in Indian heaven. As I was the last passenger to de-plane, I had exactly enough time to finish watching the film. A lovely ending to a horrible travel experience. No pictures because my camera was in the overhead compartment and anyways, the steward had taken my crutches.

No comments:

Post a Comment