Sunday, April 21, 2013

Tandoori for Two

Date: April 2, 2013
Name: Tandoori
Address:  Zamenhof 2, Tel Aviv (Dizengoff)

My dinner partner suggested this place and made a reservation, so I went with the flow. I arrived earlier, and realized that this place is way fancier than I am used to. Less so in the middle of the week, but still. 

I'd gone out the previous night with N to eat meat - we split a burger and Moroccan meat-filled cigars, so tonight I was going to be veggie. Gotta keep up appearances.

As loyal readers of this blog know, I judge eateries by their samosas. I decided to order a few appetizers in lieu of an entree, while my dinner partner ordered some form of curry lamb he loved from his days abroad. The waiter came, I ordered samosas, and asked about a lentil dish. The waiter recommended pakora, so I agreed. Bad move. I also ordered the Delhi salad. 

Our food arrived. The samosas were great - crispy, flavorful, amazing. But the pakora was just more fried goodness (or badness), that couldn't compete with the samosas. The salad was largely chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots, with some lettuce, oily with a lot of pepper. 

The samosas were the shining moment, the chutneys were good. But what sort of waiter recommends pakora when  I just ordered samosas?? 

Lessons learned: 1) Don't always go with the flow. 2) Always study the menu beforehand, especially if you are a picky eater. 

Bigger lesson learned: Don't judge people based on the restaurants they pick. 

No comments:

Post a Comment